WHY YOU SHOULD GIVE BATTLESTAR GALACTICA A CHANCE
1. It’s all on Netflix Instant…you’ve got nothing to lose here.
2. The worst thing about this show is its name. It is not THAT sci-fi, I promise. Seriously, this is a show about relationships – crazy relationships that will have you laughing and crying and angry and having to remind yourself that it is just a TV show.
Alternate titles: Kara’s Anatomy. Cylon Diaries. Pretty Little Cylons. The Secret Life of a Caprican Cylon. Or…I usually just refer to it as BSG.
3. A stupidly attractive cast. I would hope that if I was among a few thousand surviving humans they would all be this attractive.
4. Strong female characters. Like ridiculously strong. There is a milquetoasty character here and there but you’ll hate them anyway (I’m talking about YOU, Dee). In character and physicality they are amazing. Starbuck is by far my favorite.
5. REALLY good acting. Edward James Olmos fascinates me. That man is not afraid to do anything in front of the camera. He makes some of the most hideous reaction faces and is probably the ugliest crier I’ve ever seen and I LOVE IT.
6. This will give you a bit of street cred with your fellow nerds. BSG has been a lifeline for me in conversations several times because it’s something that a lot of people have passionate opinions about. You probably will too. FYI – Battlestar Galactica IS a remake of an older show from 1978ish. In this version Starbuck was a boy which is the reason my Dad doesn’t want to watch the new one and is the reason I don’t want to watch the old one.
7. Suspense. You are probably going to lose your social life and free time temporarily to this show. You think I’m joking? It’s an episode of Portlandia!
8. TIME magazine named it one of the top 100 television shows OF ALL TIME.
9. OK, there are so many more reasons why you should watch this show…but I have things to do. Important things.
WARNING: You DO have to muddle through a bit of the beginning. The first two episodes are part of a mini-series so they’re kind of like movies. (LONG). I recommend watching those with a nerdy friend who loves the show or someone else who’s interested. It is worth it. It is really, really worth it. In the second part of the mini-series you get your first glimpse of the relationships I mentioned earlier that you will soon be addicted to. However, if you aren’t decently hooked by the end of Season One Episode Six – Act of Contrition it’s probably fair to just call it quits…and you probably want to do some serious soul searching…except you probably don’t have one.
WATCH IT. LOVE IT. So say we all? SO SAY WE ALL.